Friday, February 5, 2010

The flight/first few days

Hey everyone!

This is one beautiful Central American country. I've only had time to check out one part of San Jose (the capital), but what I've seen has been very cool. There are huge clusters of bamboo growing around the city along with other tropical trees/plants. There is almost always a cool breeze in the air. If you talk to the natives (los Ticos), you are guaranteed a friendly conversation.

My family is extremely kind and I am equally grateful. Their house is so sweet! It's an average sized home for this country...maybe twice the size of my house on 4th St. in Tucson. There is a garage on either side of the house and the family has two cars, a BMW and a Honda. Besides the usual kitchen, living/dining room and bedrooms and bathrooms, there is a room with no roof! And grass for the floor! Right next to the kitchen. There are plants all over the walls (the Mom collects plants) and lizards at night and a bird cage albeit no birds have flown in...yet. Everything is kept extremely clean (just like my home in Phoenix!) and I will add some pictures of the house soon.

The mom is an AMAZING painter! I will also put up some of her paintings that hang in the house. They absolutely look real. Both her and her husband (a former accountant) are retired and have 3 kids. Diego is the only son that lives with us, and he works full-time as a software engineer. I met the daughter Diana, who is getting a master's in education administration, when I arrived along with her husband Esteban. The other son lives in Switzerland where he does molecular biology research! He's married and has a daughter.

The meals at home are close to what I read about. We generally eat bread for breakfast and rice and beans every other time of day - no joke! Haha. But it truly is delicious. They said that it's typical for most families to eat rice and beans for breakfast too, but they don't personally prefer this. Fruit is common to accompany all meals as well.

There are about 18 students in the program. I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest. Most students are from Kansas and are juniors. Unlike the group I am in real good shape with registration because I've already completed my degree. Everyone here is getting stressed about their schedules.

Well, I'm starting to sound boring so I'll wrap things up for now :) There are way more interesting stories to tell; I'll get to those next time.

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really sweet man. I'm glad to hear that you're having a great time already and I hope that continues! The house sounds amazing, and it's rather funny that the family has a former accountant and someone that's into MCB. Keep posting man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that sounds amazing! I bet it will be nice having completed your degree now you can just relax and experience the culture! I can't wait to see your pictures of the house and the city :). Sounds like an awesome family to stay with. have fun! Keep posting its not boring at all because it is so different from what is going on here!! :)

    ReplyDelete